Results And Experience You Can Trust
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Business Law
  4.  » Eminent Domain

The Government Wants My Land; What Can I Do?

When the government takes your property for their own use, you may feel like you don’t have any rights. What many people don’t know is that they can fight this. Grimes Yeoman, PLLC, has helped clients throughout North Carolina work through the possibilities. With proper representation on your side, we can work together to reach the best possible solution.

Advocating For Your Rights Throughout The Process

There are many different reasons as to why the government might try to take your land through eminent domain. This can include everything from creating a new highway to building a shopping center. Typically, you will receive compensation in exchange for your property. However, it’s important to know that you don’t have to take this first offer. While they hope you will surrender your home right away, you have options.

First of all, there are many steps the government must take in this process. One of these is where a formal hearing is held. It is in your best interest to attend this hearing and state why you think they are being unfair. It’s possible that the process stops right there. When it doesn’t, the government has to continue proving they are justified. You can also fight for higher compensation in return for your property. Regardless, having an experienced attorney is of the utmost importance.

Call Today To Talk To A Lawyer

Without proper representation, you run the risk of not only losing your home, but also getting less money than you deserve. No matter what type of case you are facing, we can help. After analyzing your case, we will provide you with all of the potential options. Together we will find what works for you. To schedule a free consultation, call our Mooresville office at 704-321-4878. You can also email us.